Wednesday 20 October 2010

So many babies around here



Lately I've been surrounded by babies. I work in the childrens wear department so I see babies on a daily basis. Sometimes they can drive me nuts (crying and screaming and I wonder why the mother doesn't take them to the mother's room for awhile - and not being a mum I'm not here to judge). Other times my heart melts. 

When I see them I just want to pick them up and give them a cuddle. Doubly so if they give me a gummy smile. And when I have to put through the teeny tiny singlets, onesies, little shoes, and other adorable outfits it really makes me want to have one.

But...I know we are ready yet. We're not ready for the responsibility to have children. Besides, we still want to travel and spend more time as just a married couple. Even though my heart is so full of love for these tiny blessings, it's just not the right time.

So instead I spoil the babies I do know :) One of my best friends is having a baby tomorrow (c-section) and I'm completely excited! I've bought a few items already, a few sweet onesies, some baby shoes, and I did get a tiny singlet with fairy wings.

Plus, I'm getting another nephew or niece! But it's a very tangled story and I'm not sure I would be ready to share it on here.

I do know that I'm going to start my childrens book collection and I have a few other little bits already. I've been going through some baby names and testing them with our last name to make sure it flows.

I try to put myself off for the moment by watching birth videos. The first one I watched freaked me out! But then I just ended up crying when they put the baby into the arms of the mother.

So all in all I would like to have kids but I also know that we aren't ready for it right now. Does anyone else feel the same way? Or to the mothers out there, what do you love most about being a mum??

Have a fantastic rest of week!

17 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

I loooooove babies. I babysit a couple days a week for little babes and it's the sweetest thing! Of course, I also enjoy being able to go out late and take naps and drink too much wine and have brunch whenever I want with girlfriends . . . all of which goes away when you have babies, really. At least without a LOT of planning. But I definitely want them one day in the not too distant future!

krissy ♥ said...

Such a sweet post :) I do believe you alone will know it when the time is right. So I think you should enjoy your married life with you and your husband first. I am still single and I feel like freaking out whenever I imagine myself pregnant, but I know when the time comes, I will be a good mother :)

thegirlhassparke said...

I love babies but at the moment I also love being able to give them back. I cant wait to have my own babies but it is definitely in the distant future. I think spoiling your friends babies is a good way to go until the right time.

Karina Pacheco said...

That's the best thing you guys can do. Have a child when you are ready ; ) I am sure you will be a lovely mom and you will spoil your child rotten with lots of Amor ; ). I made sure to have my Miguelito when Humbe and me were both ready to really settle down, because once you have children it's a 24/7 job, but you will love every single second ; ) I love my Miguelito more than anything!

Rozen said...

I'm a brand new mommy and it is one of the most wonderful blessings ever! I never really knew when I was ready, even throughout my pregnancy I kept asking myself if I'm ready for all the responsibilities and life changing things that will come with a new baby, but all the doubts, fears, anxiety disappeared the first time I held my baby boy! :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing like beautiful babies, so precious!
xx Emily at EL Vintage

Unknown said...

Such a thoughtful post. Becoming a parent is a huge change in anyones life and you should only do it when you're ready. The hubs and I traveled and did a lot prior to starting our family and I am happy for those experiences. That being said we still travel with our sons but not as much as before.
Regarding birthing videos, don't watch them if they scare you, period! Giving birth is the most joyous and painful (I won't lie) experience and until you go through it you won't understand why the heck anyone would let that happen to them. I am itching for another wee one but sadly it's not in the cards for us at least not for a few years! Good luck with whatever you decide!

k said...

I totally feel the same way! when we got married we were on the 5 year plan, well now it's been longer than that and we are still just enjoying being a couple! well, at least i am...he wouldn't mind kids. but...i'm scared to have a human being inside ofme! ek!

Kaylia Payne said...

A very lovely post! Aww you're getting clucky!! Cute!!

Sheri, RN said...

I want to be a mom one day.... kinda need a bf/hubby first though :)

green tea and red nails said...

i love this post! i know exactly how you feel :) my hubby and i have been married for almost three years and the baby questions are coming thick and fast! im really excited for babies - but just not yet! would love to go overseas again first and do a few more things. i have lovely nieces that live in melbourne so i dont get to see them as much as i would like... boo!

Style, She Wrote said...

What a cute picture! Love it!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Having someone look at you with the love that your child does is an outta this world experience!

Alyssa said...

Gracie you are going to be the most amazing mummy one day!

I think one day i would possibly like to have children... This year my parents keep reminding me that when they were my age they had me. I think at this point i would no where near be able to have a child. One day though :)

But when you do have a baby i cannot wait to send presents galore of cute baby things!!!!! :)

Joyti said...

I really love babies too. I've loved baby shoes for as long as I can remember...and I love teeny little baby clothes. And sometimes I think I get along with little kids better than I do adults.

heather said...

Gracie, who doesn't love a baby :) I think you guys are right to hold off till you're ready. Some of my best friends where married for 10 years before finally starting their family, and they always always always knew they wanted a family. We knew we would want a family, even though we weren't exactly trying to start one right now! But now that my belly's busting out, of course I'm happy and wouldn't change it for the world... even if the timing wasn't exactly what we had planned :)

:: Lavender's Green :: said...

Yay, babies! I love babies. Having Hugo home is amazing. I love to stare at him all day.

How is your friend? How is her baby?

How exciting for a new niece or nephew!

x Jasmine