Tuesday 27 March 2012

The Hunger Games Spoiler Post


SPOILER POST!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE OR READ THE BOOKS (unless you don't mind spoilers)




So as you know I saw the midnight session of The Hunger Games movie. I watched it again on Sunday with Jasmine. I loved it the first time I saw it but I was also tired and a little hyper. I don't think I really appreciated it on my first viewing. After watching it on Sunday I enjoyed it so much more. 

I can't think of a better person to play Katniss. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing. And Josh Hutcherson completely stole my heart as the boy with the bread. Stanley Tucci is the most amazing Caesar Flickerman. 

I loved the scenes that they added in that were not in the book. Such as...

♥ Katniss giving the three figure salute to the camera for District 11 and they in turn were doing it back to her and then revolted. It just shows that Katniss was already becoming a symbol of hope and revolution. 

♥ Haymitch talking to Seneca Crane about giving the viewers something to hope for (after the revolt starting in the districts and capital) with young love. I found this fascinating because this very well could be one of the reasons why there was a rule change in the first place.

♥ I loved the Caesar Flickerman and Claudius Templesmith scenes where they would explain things happening in the Games. Seeing as most things were in Katniss' head, so it was an interesting perspective.

♥ Seneca Crane entering the room at the end with the nightlock berries in the bowl. I always assumed he was executed by hanging but that's because of the particular scene in Catching Fire. 

Of course I adored seeing Katniss and Peeta together in the cave. That was one of my favourite parts of the book. And Rue's death made me cry. I remember thinking how utterly tragic it was. And Amandla Stenberg was just so sweet as Rue. 

I'm quite glad that they cut the scene with Cato and the mutts because I didn't really want to see him being mauled and hear him moaning all night. 

Overall I think it was fantastic! One of the best book adaptations I've seen. I know they cut certain things out and changed things but that's necessary. If I could add anything I would have loved to see a longer interview at the end with Caesar and the heartbreaking scene of when Katniss tells Peeta she was faking it. My heart died a little when I read that for the first time 3 years ago.

I'll be sure to watch the movie again sometime soon! Looking forward to it and I'm so happy one of my favourite books was made so well.

What did you enjoy about the movie? 



14 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

I did not read the post! I plan on reading the books. Some of my friends (up to age 51) have read the books and seen the movie...loving it. I always like to read the books before watching the movie. :)

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

read this post this morning but didn't get the chance to comment! great review - and really wish we could have the chance to chat it up in person!

I'm Sydney. said...

I thought of you when I saw the movie!!
And yes, I agree, some of the scenes they cut out made me sad, because there were parts of the book that made me cry (I read it when it first came out too!)
The actors though, were exceptional! And the Seneca Crane execution was perfect.
The movie just went by too fast!

Claire Kiefer said...

I loved it! I blogged about it today, too. :) I'm not even much of a movie person, but I already want to see it again! My boyfriend went with me and he really liked it, too, even though he hadn't read the book. The casting was brilliant, and I especially loved Woody Harrelson as Haymitch (perfect!) and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. Soooooo good. And Jennifer Lawrence is stunning.

Felicia said...

I thought that the casting was just brilliant! Jennifer Lawrence IS Katniss! I really liked the movie. The only thing I wanted more of was some more development of relationships. I totally teared up when Rue died. That was a well done scene, and I also liked the part where it showed the riot in District 11.

thegirlhassparke said...

The casting was just perfection! I could not fault it despite having concerns when it was first announced. Wasn't Rue brilliant? I cant wait to see it again and am definitely ready to read the book again.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I def need to see the movie again because I was actually a little disappointed. I felt like so many important things were missing. And that the love story needed to be played up more to translate well into the next two movies. I re-read the book the day before seeing the movie so maybe it was too fresh in my head. Or maybe I just had too high of expectations. :(

Niina - My Paper Chaos said...

I watched it today!! (Just a couple of years ago). And I still have mixed feelings but I think I need to watch it again, I was so excited haha.
But I did like the adaptions you're talking about! But I had a feeling that the relationship between Katniss and Peeta was a bit rushed...even if I guess they had to rush it...but I had to explain a few things for my friend who hadn't read the book. My hunger games post will be up soon! :)

Tina said...

great post :)
i wish the movie had been a little bit longer.. but that was because it was so good. i need to see it again!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

My friend Cass and I are going to see it in IMAX tonight and I can't wait! It's the one thing that's making me feel less sad about being home from NYC... (you will love it, Gracie!!!)

Claire said...

i loved th movie!!!! its a while since i read the books but i did think they did the book justice. Fab.

:: Lavender's Green :: said...

You already know how I feel about the movie. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

x Jasmine

Mummerina said...

I'm going to see the movie this weekend!!! I can't wait!

Karina Pacheco said...

It was an AMAZING movie!!! Love, Love, Loved it!!! :)

xoxo